The Harvest IT Application provides a “gateway to information” for farmers in the Arab States, Europe and the CIS region, with a particular focus on the needs of farmers in Hungary, Kyrgyzstan, Sudan and Turkey. A range of agricultural topics includes, depending on the country, good administration of farms, effective water use for irrigation, important dimensions of forage and milk production, and soil management. Information is presented through interactive displays that are complete with pictures, customized calculators to support decision making, safety information, and links to additional resources. Farmers can benefit from practical solutions (through the practical tips and tricks section) and background knowledge (through manuals and publications section). Once downloaded, the application does not require the internet connection to operate. Farmers can also share the application with their peers through Bluetooth.
The Harvest It App was developed within the South-South and Triangular Cooperation for Agricultural Development and Enhanced Food Security Partnership Initiative jointly supported by the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) and the United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC). The idea was inspired by the MEVA mobile application developed in Uzbekistan. Content updates for new countries are envisioned as there are opportunities to extend the app’s coverage to other countries.
- Free for iOS and Android;
- Currently available in 7 languages;
- It is demand-driven, created upon request from the countries and using the successful experience from Uzbekistan;
- Covers several countries with content developed for each country separately depending on topics of key importance for rural producers and farmers;
- Easy to use, works without the internet, can be shared from mobile phone.
All content found in the app is now available on the site as well:
Software developers: the IZISS Technology Pvt Ltd.